Once we really started to make definite plans, however, we decided to do something different. We decided to take the money we would have used on a hotel or a bed and breakfast and instead use it to explore our own town. We made the decision to do some things we don’t normally do like eat out at nice restaurants and explore places in our town we’d never been before.
We made arrangements for our boys to be with friends and set out to enjoy two days alone. We both loved it!
Here are 7 reasons why we loved our staycation so much:
1) We slept in our own bed. This is honestly where both of us sleep best.
2) We didn’t have any travel. No lengthy drive time, very little gas needed, and no travel stress.
3) We didn’t have to pack or unpack any suitcases for ourselves. This also reduced stress.
4) We enjoyed ourselves at restaurants. On the rare occasion of eating out, Mark and I almost always share a meal. Instead of using our money for overnight accommodations, we enjoyed our own meals and even ordered an occasional glass of wine…something we would usually never do.
5) I didn’t have to cook for two full days. We ate “brunch” and dinner out both days, so it really felt like a vacation for me!
6) We discovered shops, art galleries, coffee shops, museums, and other places we had never taken the time to explore.
7) Mark only had to take off two days of work since we didn’t have any travel days to accommodate. Since he’s a self-employed carpenter and doesn’t get paid if he doesn’t work, that was a big benefit for us!
Everybody needs a break from the everyday and there’s definitely a need for an occasional getaway. However, if you’re looking for an affordable vacation option for your family or a short getaway for your marriage, keep the concept of a staycation on your radar screen. You just might find you’ll enjoy it just as much as a traditional vacation!
What about you? Have you ever tried a staycation?
GET INSTANT ACCESS TO MY LIBRARY OF FREE DOWNLOADS
Subscribe to receive FREE printables, available exclusively to subscribers.