For the last part of last week and the first part of this week, we’re focusing on slowing down and simplifying. Today’s Marriage Monday continues on in that theme.
When Jill and I have our schedule maxed out, our marriage suffers. We compromise our communication which causes us to withdraw into our own little world. Instead of being one in marriage, we become like roommates.
It’s easy to fall into busyness. Parenting requires a lot from us. Then there’s work, lessons, hobbies, home repairs, school programs, church activities, and more. Our crazy, busy lives can suck the life right out of our marriage.
That’s why slowing down and simplifying is so important to our marriage. When are you spending time with your spouse without children? When are you talking to one another without the distraction of the television or the computer?
Here are some ideas for slowing down and taking time for each other:
- Go to bed one hour earlier than usual. Grab some of your photo albums from years ago, snuggle in bed and reminisce about your early years together.
- Pull out a board game like Yahtzee and play as a couple after the kids are in bed.
- Cook a meal together…try a new recipe and cook the entire meal from scratch.
- Linger after dinner at the table. Talk about strategies for simplifying your schedules and slowing down to really enjoy life.
- Take a walk in the park together…holding hands and talking.
Today’s assignment for slowing down and simplifying is to choose one of the above activities or design one of your own that will invest in your marriage.
We’d love to hear what worked for you!
P.S. On the topic of marriage, we are presenting our Love For A Lifetime message at a Couples Night Out this Thursday night in Gurnee, IL. If you live in the area, come join us! For more info click HERE.