Today’s post is from Leighann McCoy who authored the book Spiritual Warfare for Your Family, What You Need to Know to Protect Your Children (Bethany House, 2016). Through her books and online resources, she is on a mission to empower families to win the war.
Leighann writes out of real-life experience. The week after she began writing Spiritual Warfare for Women, her 18-year-old daughter left home to live with her boyfriend and became pregnant. As Leighann lay on the floor of her daughter’s bedroom crying out in desperation, she put her own teaching to the test. Two years later, Leighann began work on A Woman’s Guide to Hearing the Voice of God, when she was diagnosed with a recurrence of colon cancer in her liver. Through it all, she remained certain that God meticulously and methodically works all things together for our good and His glory.
Visit Leighann online at www.LeighannMcCoy.com
There are terrible, no good, very bad things wrecking our families and I don’t like it. Spiritual warfare is real, and our children are under attack. Don’t let this fact scare you, instead learn more about the war, step into your rightful place as a warrior (who doesn’t need to be afraid), and learn to exercise the authority and power God’s given you to protect your family.
As I write these words, I’m smiling at myself, I’m not a decorated 5 star general but rather a battle scarred momma. And although I don’t know the specific battle you’re facing, I have faced a few myself and have discovered three incredible weapons that will defeat whatever yours might be:
- You have the divine weapon of acceptance. Because God tells you the truth, He gives you the power to accept truth in all situations. In the Bible you can find over 3000 promises. At least one of those is applicable to your situation. As you read God’s Word, invite Him to reveal your promise to you. Then accept that truth no matter what the devil does to challenge it.
- You have the divine weapons of praise and thanksgiving. Praise announces the truth about God’s character. When you choose praise (regardless of your circumstances) you build an impenetrable defense against doubt and unbelief. And because trusting God more wins the war, praise is powerful. Praise announces truth and thanksgiving announces fact. When you recall specific things God’s done in the past you realize that whatever He’s yet to do in your present is going to happen, it’s simply a matter of time. Thanksgiving will open your eyes to see God working and therefore make you immune to the devil’s poison of deception.
- You have the divine weapon of intercession. An intercessor is someone who takes up the cause of another and makes an appeal on their behalf. God invites you to be an intercessor for your children. Your prayers are powerful and God is always answering them. Don’t be distracted by the obvious and don’t mistake God’s silence for inactivity. God does some of His most powerful work undercover.
You are fighting battles that are spiritual in nature, created by thoughts and feelings. God knows what you are facing and His grace is sufficient to give you all that you need to overcome. Implement these weapons of war by doing these things:
- Claim the promise God intends to keep on your behalf. You might be able to find help for the issue you are facing online at leighannmccoy.com/SpiritualWarfareTools Click here for more Bible verses on specific topics.
- Practice praise and thanksgiving. Before you do anything—list 10 things for which you are thankful. Create this list daily. Get in the habit of reading the Psalms aloud. There is great power in the spoken Word of God, especially those songs of praise found in the Psalms.
- Journal the prayers you pray for your children. Jot down your specific requests for your children. Keep a record of what happens as a direct result of your prayers.
You’re not crazy, there really is a battle waging. God wants you to know He is for you, He is with you and He is not going to leave or forsake you. You can win with Him.
Are you in a battle? Use these strategies to stand in the gap for your family today!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get Jill's latest content by email.