It was 15 years ago that I packed up my first kid for college. This month will be my last time I’ll do that job.
I’m definitely feeling all the feels with that!
One day I’m excited for the new season ahead. After all, the last kid will be off the Savage payroll! Wahoo! We can make love in any room of the house at any time of the day! Wahoo! My husband and I can take off and go somewhere on the weekend without worrying about anyone else! Wahoo! I can pursue some of the things I’ve set aside for years because there was a family to raise. Wahoo!
Then other days I have a sadness about me. I’ve enjoyed raising my family. I loved tucking my littles into bed and listening to their heart. I loved those first few minutes after school or sitting at the dinner table hearing about their day. I’ve loved watching my kids grow into beautiful young adults finding their way in this world. I’ve loved nurturing their faith. Oh it’s not been easy, and there were many days I wanted to figure out how I could resign, but still it’s been fulfilling!
If you’re sending one off to college, I’m betting you’re experiencing all the feels, too!
Because I’ve done this for a million years (it feels like it!) I have a few tools to help you along the way!
1) Download my brand new FREE College Dorm Packing List! This is an incredibly complete packing list that will help you and your student think through all he/she needs to take to school!
2) Get Amazon Prime or Amazon Prime for Students. This can be a big help when ordering books and dorm items online.
3. Check out some of my previous blog posts about sending kids off to college:
- Is It OK That I’m Doing The Happy Dance About My Daughter Leaving For College?
- Affordable College Education
- Sunrise Sunset
4) Take my online class They All Flew Out Of the Cuckoo’s Nest on Tuesday, September 12, 7:30-9 pm CST! If you’re getting close or embarking on the empty nest, you will definitely want to sign up for this powerful class that I first taught at the April 2017 Hearts at Home conference and received five-star feedback. I’m so glad technology offers a way to bring this to you without leaving your home! Early bird pricing is available until September 1! Register today and invite your empty nest friends to join you!
If you still have littles at home, share this post with a friend or family member who needs it.
And then hold your kiddos a little closer today. Smile when they talk to you. Take a deep breath when they frustrate you. Apologize when you lose it. Say yes when you can and say no when they need it. As my friend Charlene Baumbich put it: Don’t miss your kids…they’ll be gone before you know it!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get Jill's latest content by email.